virtuasigi
Desde en May 2008

3 posts
August 14, 2020
Hello,
I'm a longtime user of iStripper and love it !
But now I've problems after installation on my new MacBook Pro ( MacOS 10.15.6 ) - ( I already deinstalled iStripper on my older windows notebook )
1. Every time when I start iStripper I have to type in username and password ( earlier it was necessary only one time after installation )
2. All my individual settings are gone when iStripper runs. All settings were changed to the basic settings.
3. When iStripper runs, everything seems to be ok. I can change settings, I found my own collection etc. But all my setttings will not be stored.

After closing iStripper and restart again - always the same:
  • type in username and password
  • iStripper seems to run the very first time ( Tutorial etc ) and all settings on factoryset.

Whats going wrong ?
Greetings
Sigi
Manue
EQUIPO
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Desde en Nov 2014

1035 posts
Wyldanimal
MODERADOR
Desde en Mar 2008

3815 posts
August 14, 2020
@virtuasigi

On Mac all the settings are supposed to be stored in a Preference File it has the extension .Plist
It used to be, that the file was updated Immediately.
With a new Security feature, a Temporary copy is held in a cache, and the real file is only updated when you shut down.

What you describe, is that the Preference file is not being updated with the new data.

there is a way to ***** the Cache to be updated..

https://nethack.ch/2014/03/30/quick-tip-flush-os-x-mavericks-plist-file-cache/

Seek out Member @Dorsai6
he may be able to supply you a script to do this.

laotzu
Desde en May 2012

1 posts
September 7, 2020
I tried to install the new version after removing the previous, and now when asked to login I get network error (0). This happens even when I hit continue. Now what?
Wyldanimal
MODERADOR
Desde en Mar 2008

3815 posts
September 7, 2020
@laotzu

There seemed to be a server side issue ( Error 502 ) that was preventing communication with the servers.

It should be corrected now...

stefnev1
MODERADOR
Desde en Jul 2008

4495 posts
September 7, 2020
@laotzu
When you make an update of the software, you don't have to uninstall the previous version, just install the new one over it.
aljey
Desde en Dec 2015

13 posts
January 25, 2023
@virtuasigi have you been able to find a solution to this?
I'm having this problem now (latest macOS).
Dorsai6
Desde en Apr 2013

1027 posts
January 25, 2023
@aljey

That was an old problem with the Catalina OS 10.15. I'm currently using Monterey OS 12.6.2. The latest OS is Ventura OS 13. I don't plan to install Ventura for another 2-3 months.

What is your problem? I can probably help. Which OS are you using? If you have a problem with the Totem preferences file, I have a lot of experience. However, Apple has been tightening up security and some of the rules have changed.
aljey
Desde en Dec 2015

13 posts
January 25, 2023
@Dorsai6
I'm on Ventura 13.1
My issue is exactly as described in the original post.
I installed iStripper on a clean system, logged in, changed the settings.
Everything seemed to work, until the app crashed and I was ***** to log in again and all of my settings were gone.
I thought that maybe they were not saved because the app didn't exit cleanly, which didn't turn out to be the case.
I don't mind logging in every time, but it simply ***** me that it starts to automatically download shows to a disk that has almost no available space on it, because it forgot that I have configured it to download to a different one :)
Dorsai6
Desde en Apr 2013

1027 posts
January 25, 2023
@aljey

That does sound like a preference file problem. It seems you know how to read the preference file since you checked it. It is possible that Apple has added new security features and the "real" preference file is no longer in the Preferences folder. I'm still on Monterey, so I can't be sure. When you checked the preference file did the system.ModelsPath parameter have the correct path name? Was it one value or multiple values? Does Finder show that the preferences file was recently updated?
aljey
Desde en Dec 2015

13 posts
January 26, 2023
@Dorsai6
No, I don't know how to read the preference file actually.
The article on nethack.ch referred to above does not seem to be about iStripper specifically, is it?
And I didn't really understand it anyway.
celine
EQUIPO
Desde en Sep 2007

1761 posts
January 26, 2023
@aljey pls read my PM
Wyldanimal
MODERADOR
Desde en Mar 2008

3815 posts
January 26, 2023
@Dorsai6

Question for you.
On Windows, the iStripper app is still 32 bit.

What about the App for Mac OS
is it now 64 Bit, or is it still a 32 Bit App?

I don't have access to a Machine running Mac OS
so I have no way to tell.

Nebal
Desde en Feb 2015

227 posts
January 26, 2023
@Wyldanimal Don't mean to pry into your conversation with @Dorsai
I'm on a Mac, Catalina OS version 10.15.7

My Istripper App says Version 1.2.377/ 64 bits / Qt5.9.9

Just updated, so far so good. Don't have to put in a username or password
Dorsai6
Desde en Apr 2013

1027 posts
January 26, 2023
@aljey

One item at a time.

No, I don't know how to read the preference file actually.

OK. Here's how I do it. There may be other ways.

1. In Finder, old down the option key and open the Go menu. You will see a menu choice "Library." That choice only appears when the option key is down. Select it. This will open the Library folder as a window on your Mac.

2. In the Library folder you will find a Preferences Folder. Open that.

3. In the Preferences Folder you will find com.totem.Vghd.plist . Open that. This will probably cause your Mac to install the Apple XCode package. This is a free development library that includes a plist reader. It may take a few minutes to install XCode and you will probably have to give permission more than once. You may have to open com.totem.Vghd.plist a second time after XCode is installed.

4. Once Xcode is open you will see a window showing the contents of com.totem.Vghd.plist. There are lots of interesting items there. Scroll or use the Find command to find system.ModelsPath This is the path iStripper will use to find your models folders. Note that this is a UNIX path name using /, not a Mac path name using :. iStripper allows more than one, but I only use a single path and I don't know what a multi-path entry looks like. You can edit and save this, but see below. NOTE: Some of the key's shown have no effect on the Mac.

The article on nethack.ch referred to above does not seem to be about iStripper specifically, is it?

No, it's about the way the Mac OS manages preference file data. I just read that article. I've never seen it before and it explains some things I discovered on my own.

Originally, the preference file contained live data. If you change data in the preference file it had an immediate effect on the application using that data.

At some point, probably for performance reasons, Apple changed things. Applications now copy the preference data into a cache and work with what's in the cache not what's in the file itself. This means that changes to the preference file are ignored by the running application. However, there are AppleScript changes that will update both the data in the file and in the cache. I've used them, but sometimes the results are surprising and sometimes they have no effect.

I later discovered that the cache data is not flushed when an application quits. If the application is reopened and the cached data is still present the application may ignore the preference file.

The iStripper application will update its preference file when the application closes, but never before that.

So, I only revise the iStripper preference file when iStripper is not running at all. That means QUIT iStripper as your first step. Closing the window is not enough. Once I have saved my changes to the iStripper preference file, I reboot my Mac. I do this because, in the past, I discovered the cached data overrode my preference file changes. This may no longer be necessary, but I always reboot just to be safe.

@Wyldanimal and @Nebal

I believe that all applications since OS 10.13, Mojave must be 64 bit. I found the following at https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12012017a

64-bit Requirement for Mac Apps
December 1, 2017
As a reminder, new apps submitted to the Mac App Store must support 64-bit starting January 2018, and Mac app updates and existing apps must support 64-bit starting June 2018. If you distribute your apps outside the Mac App Store, we highly recommend distributing 64-bit binaries to make sure your users can continue to run your apps on future versions of macOS. The last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromise is macOS High Sierra.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer questions or provide more details if needed.
Wyldanimal
MODERADOR
Desde en Mar 2008

3815 posts
January 26, 2023
@Nebal and @Dorsai

Thanks for confirming what I already expected.

aljey
Desde en Dec 2015

13 posts
January 28, 2023 (edited)
@Dorsai6

they have shown me how to read the settings file
and, I have to say, it is very convenient being able to do that

Today I have finally been able to localize the problem to just one single EVIL checkbox in the settings - "Send crash reports".
As long as you stay the f.. away from it, all of the settings seem to be persisted correctly (I don't yet know for how long).
But if you so much as dare to think about not sending those reports, you are immediately penalized for it by erasing all of your other settings, leaving only a small fraction of the default ones.

It seems like a bug in the software to me personally and not some security restrictions on the OS side.

For now, I will have to check the settings file every time before launching the app, just in case.
And, if it asks me to log in, then right before entering the password also.

I'm considering making the file readonly if the issues persist.
Dorsai6
Desde en Apr 2013

1027 posts
January 28, 2023
@aljey,

Do you mean the the Send crash reports checkbox in the Data section of the Settings tab of iStripper or is there a file as well? You may be able to show me something in iStripper I haven't discovered.
aljey
Desde en Dec 2015

13 posts
January 29, 2023
@Dorsai6
I do mean the checkbox in the settings tab
that is what breaks the settings file for me
I do not know if it is the only thing though
I will experiment for a few more days to be sure
Dorsai6
Desde en Apr 2013

1027 posts
January 29, 2023
@aljey,

I do mean the checkbox in the settings tab

This is very interesting. I found that parameter in the plist file. It wasn't there when I first checked. When I unchecked the checkbox, it appeared. It's name is crashReportingEnabled and it's a boolean variable.

However, when I turned it off and back on it did not seem to affect the behavior of iStripper on my Mac. But, you are using Ventura and I'm still using Monterey as my OS.

aleks416
Desde en May 2018

2 posts
February 10, 2023
Hello. How to transfer the program to a new PC (installed with a login only on the old one)? The program was removed from the laptop, but still I can not install it on a new PC due to a limitation in 2 PC. Reset my old settings.
Wyldanimal
MODERADOR
Desde en Mar 2008

3815 posts
February 10, 2023
@aleks416

try Now....
aleks416
Desde en May 2018

2 posts
February 11, 2023
Wyldanimal,
thank you!

No estás autorizado a participar aun

Como usuario gratuito iStripper, no se te permite responder a un tema en el foro o crear un nuevo tema
Pero podrás acceder a las categorías y conceptos básicos y ponerte en contacto con nuestra comunidad.!